Monday, December 8, 2008

Cross Country Skiing

We bought cross-country skis a few weeks back – we finally had enough snow to try them out Saturday after Thanksgiving. Our Norwegian friend Lena and her husband Carlos offered to show us. Jason was a natural since he is already a skier, I on the other hand have a lot to learn! My mom can tell a great story of me taking ski lessons at the age of 5 – I was great at making snowballs but didn’t learn a thing about skiing. Thankfully Lena was very patient and I made some good progress. I learned the general motion of track skiing and how to climb hills. I learned how to go down hills and stop but that still needs LOTS of work. Most importantly I learned how to fall down! It is really great to see everything from 2 year olds to 85 year olds trucking along on their skis! Overall it was a good time though I could barely move my arm the next day. Hopefully we can get another day in before we head home. It is a great workout! Though we have decided that Norwegians don’t ski for fitness- it is more like hiking – they just want to be outside and enjoy nature and family. Some would say it is like their church.

No comments: