Well Jason left on Sunday for a week in lovely Bakersfield. I went to the local football (soccer) game on Sunday night. One of the guys we meet works for a company called Ling – they have a “box” at the soccer stadium. By “box” I mean you sit in a large room with about 50 tables and have a meal and drinks. You can only drink before the game starts and then they take away all alcoholic beverages 30 minutes prior to the game – literally take them away from you. We arrived too late to have any beverages. The meal consisted of cold salmon, potatoes and salad with no dressing. It wasn’t bad it just wasn’t what I would expect for a football game. Where are the hot dogs? During the game you go out to your seat in a special section and at half time there is dessert back at the table – dessert was worth the cold salmon though! The game itself was pretty interesting as soccer goes. There were penalty kicks and the opposing team’s goalie got a red card and had to leave – they can’t replace him so some other guy attempted to fill the spot but didn’t do so well. The local team (Rosenberg) won 2-0. The best part is defiantly the fans cheering the whole game – pretty impressive even though I have no idea what they were saying.
Jason and I also got invited over to our land lady’s house for coffee last Saturday – which is a big deal in Norwegian society. It was really lovely – she and her husband are about 70. They live in an amazing flat overlooking the whole city with a huge patio – I think they do well for themselves considering they have that plus 3 other homes! We talked about the usual subjects – Bush, Clinton/Obama, gun laws, crime, American obesity, American healthcare and social security. They both speak excellent English for being older but I guess that has to do with their level of education – she is a dentist and he was an ENT doctor.
Other then that I have been working in our yard trying to keep up with the weeds but everything grows so quick here – I swear weeds grow at least 3 inches each day! It has been pretty warm here but Norwegian standards- highs of 82 or so and lows of 62. You would think they never get warm days here by the way they act. They are lying out in bathing suits on every inch of grass they can find (see picture below taken from the car window) and city workers have their shirts off while working on things like installing pipes in the road and operating back hoes. But I have to admit it is hot considering there is NO AIR CONDITIONING! No houses have it, no stores (not even IKEA), not even the gym (I now know what Old Gregory was like!). So I bought an $80 fan yesterday hoping we can deal with it but we may need to break down and by a room A/C unit as well. Luckily we have a basement so it stays cool down there. If I could only convince the dogs to hang out down there instead of with me all the timeJ.

No comments:
Post a Comment