Thursday, January 21, 2010

Northern Lights

Last night we saw the Northern Lights! We were very excited for the chance to see them in Trondheim. I actively check two websites for "auroral activity" and last night the numbers were really high. But more honestly I got a text message from our British friend who lives near the fjord telling us they were visible. So we grabbed the camera and headed to higher ground for a better view. They had been visible in mid-November but we missed them so we were very excited to catch them this time.
They are beautiful and amazing. I can see how people thought they were a sign from God in the middle ages. They move! I didn't realize that and they move really quickly so they are constantly changing shape- fading and brightening in front of your eyes. From what we have heard at our latitude we can only see the green color but the higher in latitude you get the more colors you can see. It was definitely a really cool thing and something we both wanted to experience while in Norway- now we can cross that off our list.

These last two pictures are from my friend Helen- she lives on the fjord so she has less city light and I think she took these when the lights were a lot brighter.

5 comments:

ER and LR Discussions said...

Wow Robin,

These are really amazing. I have seen in books, etc. but nothing like this. Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Unknown said...

Hi Robin,
The photos are mazing. We are also eagerly waiting to see the auroral acitivities. but last two days we missed. I'm also in trondheim. If in any time u r seeing the northern lights. please let me know with a sms, please. +47 48919091 Thanks in advance! :)

phuong said...

INCREDIBLE!!! Those pictures are awesome! How long does the display last?

wildmarch said...

Hi, nice to see you. I am Mayumi, a Japanese postdoc researcher living in Jakobsli, Trondheim. I saw the northen light on the same day as you! It was fantastic, wasnt it!? But I couldnt take good photos... If you dont matter, can I introduce your photos of them on my blog? Mine is as follows. http://accesstom.blogspot.com/

wildmarch said...

thanks a lot for letting me to share beautiful photos! Mayumi