Thursday, September 16, 2010

Back to Reality

We have been in the apartment for a little over two weeks and life is returning to normal. Our air shipment arrived on Monday so we now have 6 boxes of stuff to make the apartment feel a little more like "home". According to our relocation website our sea shipment has yet to leave Norway- which is more then fine with us.

Work is going fine for Jason and I am trying to fill my time - Target seems to be a constant draw. I do think I have OD'd on reality TV- particularly House Hunters and anything having to do with weddings. I have an unnatural draw to those shows I think. The company has scheduled us for a repatriation workshop in two weeks but I have to admit there are already things that I notice that are weird for me. Obviously none of them are so strange that I can't deal with it but I do notice them a lot. They include:
  • People not wearing helmets on motorcycles or bikes (really you are going 75 mph without a helmet!)
  • The lack of ability to recycle- I still find myself folding cardboard and rinsing plastic
  • How in the world does the dryer dry things so quickly? I swear I put a load in the other day and it was dry in 10 minutes....
  • I continue to leave the oven on- it doesn't make any noise to tell me it's on- our old oven had a loud fan
  • The over abundance of plastic bags at the grocery store - I swear the bagger must be instructed to use as many bags as possible on each customer and they seem to be multiplying under my sink
  • Radio edit (and TV censoring too) I am still thrown off when the words in the song are different. And I had to laugh at just how conservative the US is - last night on Survivor they were blurring the crotch area of men in full coverage underwear...really?
And now for a Dopler update. The vet ran all kinds of tests and we found out that he is healthy as a horse. Still not interested in food so we got his teeth cleaned (which went really well). And he is still being really fussy so we are now chalking it up to grief. So with our vets guidance we are letting him eat when he wants and see if he can work it out on his own.
For anyone that knew both dogs....Dopler never used to hold his ears straight up....strange

3 comments:

K Norris said...

If you are trying to fill your time, why don't you take a day trip to Nacogdoches and visit SFA - Kenny

Matt & Kathryn said...

I'm so happy that you're blogging now that you're back. The re-assimilation process is very interesting!

I agree with all those observations! And the plastic bag thing drives me NUTS! What I can fit in one or two paper bags (which we use for our recycling), the check-out people put in 5 or 6 plastic bags... sometimes more! It's obnoxious! And the plastic is sooo thin compared to Rema1000 - have you noticed that? Anyway, I could go on for days about these things. Good thing we can rehash in person in just a few weeks! Can't wait to see you guys!

Brandi said...

The dryer thing cracks me up. Seriously- I believe I had a load in the dryer for 4 hours yesterday. I totally could have put it out to dry on the line and it would have been done much faster. Hope you are enjoying Houston!!!!