Monday, February 2, 2009

The Big 3-0

Jason turned the big 3-0 on Thursday.   We agreed that we would not really do presents for either of our birthdays since we have planned a nice vacation in April – which is how I wanted to spend my 30th– on a beach with a umbrella drink in my hand!  So I decided to go against Jason’s wishes and surprise him with 30 presents on his 30th.  Needless to say many of them were crappy since there is no “Dollar Store” equivalent here.  So his presents included a box of twine, a banana holder, marshmallows, a Norwegian politi car, candy, really hard Hubba Bubba, a fireplace DVD etc.  The better presents included a new DVD to play on our recently purchased region free DVD player.   And the grand present was a Norwegian waffle maker – the Norwegian’s are crazy for their waffles and they have a really cool type of heart shaped waffle.  So I wrapped all the presents and hid them around the house and in his work bag so he could find them throughout the day.  I think he liked it- maybe not the ball of twine but the idea J  

On Friday I made his favorite dinner (Gorgonzola Pasta) and Matt and Kathryn came over to have a nice meal.  Dinner was good and then we had one of Jason’s favorite desserts (Boston Cream Cupcakes).  It was a nice time but it was somewhat strange to not have a bigger event for such a milestone birthday – but that is what you do I guess when you are in a strange country.  

No comments: