Thursday, February 12, 2009

GRRR!

I have had a frustrating few days.  First I had to go to a FOUR hour "training" session for work.  I found out about it on Friday afternoon - it was the following Tuesday from 4pm-8pm.  Oh yeah I work on Tuesday from 8:30a-3:15pm - so it means a long day.  The training session is part one of two which concludes next week with another four hours. To top it off the training was about hands on learning also known as "experiential education" - which is useless for me since I have worked ropes courses and in outdoor recreation where the process was invented!  So it was a complete waste of time as I already knew everything that was taught.

Second I need to go to the doctor here so I called the office of my government assigned doctor and asked the receptionist in Norwegian "do you speak English" she says NO.  So I try to struggle through my limited Norwegian skills to get an appointment - the lady is blabbing at me in Norwegian.  After 2 minutes of my struggling she says in perfect English "what do you want"?  So she does speak English perfectly!!!  So we continue in English and now I have an appointment but I was so frustrated that she let me struggle for 2 minutes on top of lying about her English ability especially since I have no choice in my doctor and can't go elsewhere.

Third the Norwegian government took 50% of my paycheck this month!  Usually it is a mere 36% but each year you need a new "tax card" which shows your place of employment how much tax to deduct.  You have to apply for the card from the government and it is due to your work by the last week of January.  So we applied in December when we got the notice and didn't get the tax card in time so as punishment the government takes 50% tax.  Seems like a stupid process since they are the ones that control when the tax card gets sent.  

So those are my frustrations for the week.  On a good note (sorta) it snowed another 3 feet this week so it is winter wonderland again and we got to ski last weekend.  And the sun is finally starting to come out again.  It is rising at 8:30am and setting at 5:00pm!  I even had to wear my sunglasses yesterday for the first time in months!

No comments: