Sunday, May 2, 2010

Homemade Bread and Snow

Yes I said snow! Saturday was our Norwayversary (2 years in Norway on May 1st) - it rained, sleeted and snowed all day but nothing stuck. We had a nice lunch at the place where we had our first meal in Norway - Pepe's Pizza - with our friends Michael and Erin. Later that night when we went to take the dogs out before bed - low and behold - it is pouring snow and the ground is covered. We also woke up to a white blanket....we are done- this sucks. Last year at this time we were enjoying the weather outside on the patio already. This year we have no leaves on trees and the grass is barely green. The worst part is not that summer will arrive late (if it arrives at all) is that it will be very short. Winter will begin on schedule...boo!
The morning of May 2nd


On to a better subject. I haven't been baking as much recently- partly due to a lack of time and partly due to the fact I have less opportunity to get the baked goods out of the house quickly which means I eat them all. But I have bought a new book - Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day so I am trying my hand at fresh bread. The book has a cool idea- basically you make a wet dough which requires no kneading and then let it rise in the fridge overnight then you use it. In the US I could make enough dough for 4 loaves and keep it in the fridge easily but here I can only keep about half that. I also had to invest in a pizza/baking stone which turned out to be cheaper then expected here. So here is my first effort. The loaf was slightly misshapen but it tasted really good. We are looking forward to more bread in our future!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Sorry the weather is so sucky. Just a few more months and you'll be in hot and humid Houston weather. Phillip wanted me to tell you when you come back to Houston and need help eating all that bread he would be more than happy to help. =)

ER and LR Discussions said...

Robin and Jason,

I really am enjoying the blog. I was talking with Judy today and she informed me that I can have it automatically notify me when you update. You have only been doing this for two years and I catch on. :-)

Great looking bread and I cannot wait for you, Jason and "the boys" to come back to Texas.