Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Celebratory Cookies

I made Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies to celebrate that testing on Jason's project is COMPLETE!! This means that we can officially leave Norway! He took them to work and they were a hit. I really like this cookie since it is not too sweet, has a hint of banana and of course chocolate. Here is the recipe.
We have had a great day today. We finally got word that both of our visa renewals were complete after only FIVE months and paying twice. We headed to the police station at 6:00am to wait in a pathetic version of a line to turn in our passports to have the visa inserted. It is quite an education on different cultures lining up at the police station for 2 hours to get the chance to pull a number to talk to an immigration officer- something I can't quite put into words. After a successful visit there we headed to the bank to determine how to close our account in Norway once we leave. We have to do it after we leave since we expect several payment and bills after our departure. We got good answers there. Then we headed to the folkregister, which is like the Social Security Administration. There we determined how to change our address and we went ahead and did that today! We also learned that we get to keep our personal numbers (like a SSN) forever which made us happy since they were so difficult to obtain.

We were so productive that we decided to go to the tax office as well to ensure that my tax refund in October would be paid directly into our Norwegian bank account- success! And lastly we went to the dealership where we bought our car to discuss the possibility of them purchasing it from us in late August. They said they would definitely offer us money for it and it would just be up to us to accept that offer. So now we know that in the worst case we can get rid of the car there! Then we got home and I got a call from our movers in Oslo trying to set up a move survey for next week- success again! I was also happy to hear from the mover that the move organizer in the US has almost agreed to allow the Oslo move crew to come to Trondheim to pack and load us instead of using the local group that made me very unhappy the first time around. It is starting to feel very real. It will be even more real when our pups leave for their journey on Sunday night :(

3 comments:

phuong said...

WOW! That moving survey makes everything so REAL. Are you going to be there at all to see Brandi?

Tracy said...

Wow! That's more productive than I usually am in three weeks. VERY awesome! Congrats on all the progress. I look forward to hearing when you're back in H-town!!

Robin said...

P- I think we will end up missing each other which is sad:( Originally we would have been able to spend some time with them but then they got pushed back and we got pushed up....

T- We plan to be back in H-town August 29-30. I also want to plan a trip to Austin so one way or another we will catch up!