Today I decided to stretch myself and try something harder then the average baking. So I choose to make Lemon Steamed Pudding. Here is an almost identical version of the recipe. The book I used was written by Tom Colicchio's pastry chef mentioned in the article - Karen DeMasco. But her version calls for 4 eggs, keeping the foil on for the whole cooking time and has a lot more directions. Don't be fooled by Tom's description of this recipe being "foolproof". I admit it wasn't too hard but foolproof is an awfully strong word.
Into the water bath they go
Fresh out of the oven, cooling in the water bath
I didn't have a roasting pan with high sides so the foil cover stuck to the top of the puddings. After letting them cool I turned out my first one on to a plate- disaster! The top is supposed to be a really pretty set lemon curd- but mine ran all over the plate. But it still tasted really good- very lemony but really good! I let them cool even longer and tried to turn another one out....and Success!! It is not quite as pretty as in the picture in the book but pretty good for my first attempt. I also made Candied Lemons- I thought they would be firm but they aren't but they are still pretty good.
Success!!
Cooling the candied lemons- yes that is snow in place of an ice bath :)
We leave for Italy in 3 days! And sadly it snowed again this morning....
No comments:
Post a Comment