Sunday, March 7, 2010

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

I am back! The trip to the US was wonderful and I have been busy since then too with a school trip to Copenhagen which I will blog about soon, but first the recap of the US.

The trip to Albany was long- 30 minute car ride to the airport, 2.5 hours plane ride to Amsterdam, 6 hour layover, 7 hour plane ride to NYC, 1 hour in customs where I got a US stamp!, 40 minute subway/train ride to Penn Station and then a 2.5 hour train ride to Albany. It was long but well worth it. It was also interesting since I got to experience "heightened security" in Amsterdam for my US flight- I have now been x-rayed for security purposes! You could tell the security was higher- US flights were secluded to the end of the terminal and I saw several extra security sweeps occur plus everyone's carry-on was checked by hand. But thankful the flight was good and they didn't enact the dumber security measures like shutting down the entertainment system or making us stay in our seats for the hour prior to landing.

I arrived at Brandi and Chris's late on Saturday night - we stayed up talking even though I was the walking dead:) The next day I got to meet Austin for the first time. He is so cute and pictures really don't do him justice folks- his personality is the best! He warmed up to me quickly and he was pretty fun:) Brandi and I had a nice lunch at the Cheesecake Factory then did some damage at Target! The next five days included trips to the mall (everyday for one reason or another), a much needed haircut, a facial, a manicure and pedicure evening for Brandi and I (care of my sweet husband who surprised me with a great gift certificate!). We also had sushi one night and saw a girly movie, baked some cookies and had lots of play time with Austin -I even got to experience toddler music class and play time.
Austin eating his graham cracker crumbs after hitting them with his toy hammer!
Catching snow flakes

Helping mom shovel!

I also got to experience what happens when it snows in the US. It was highly interesting for me since my only really experience living in snow is Norway. Get this- when it snows in the US people get worried, sometimes they close schools or don't go to work and they plow and salt the road and use lots of snowblowers to get the snow off sidewalks and parking lots! It was amazing! In case you don't know - when it snows in Norway none of the above happens. You are lucky to get a snow plow once a day if the snow is heavy. I truly saw more snow blowers and plows in 2 days of snow in Albany then I have seen in two looong winters in Norway. I now realize I completely take for granted the "whatever" attitude of the Norwegians when it comes to snow.

On Friday Brandi and I headed to the city for a girls night- I will blog about that next. Then Saturday I flew home. It was a great trip - Brandi and Chris were so gracious to have me and we had a great time. It was amazing to have some girl time and some time in the US especially since we are staying longer here now then we first expected when I booked the trip. Jason was quite a trooper by letting me go and dog sitting all week in the -25C Norway winter! Look for more blogs soon :)

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Ahh yes. The hammering of graham crackers is an Olympic sport in our house. Glad you got to experience that ;o)
Miss you already!