Sunday, June 13, 2010

Caramelized Apple Skillet Cake

Today was a lazy Sunday- Jason was working from home and I didn't have much to do, so I decided to bake. After searching my cookbooks for something I had all the ingredients for I decided on Caramelized Apple Skillet Cake from the Craft of Baking book- here is the recipe from another person's blog.

I did have a bit of trouble with this recipe. First off I don't have a cast iron skillet or an oven proof skillet so I needed to make it in a cake pan. You make the caramel on the stove top in the pan but I didn't think my cake pan was stove top proof so I made the caramel in a regular pan then poured it into the cake pan. First mistake- hot caramel into a cold cake pan doesn't work. So I tried again - this time warming the cake pan in the oven first but I wanted to get the apples cut up before I transferred the caramel to the cake pan- well that was a mistake as well. The caramel cooled and couldn't be reheated to the correct consistency. So third time was a charm- warm cake pan and apples that were ready to be placed in the caramel. Looking back I also should have had the batter ready before I started the caramel and apple phase but it still worked just fine.
Hot out of the oven

Inverted

Finished product is heavenly! Jason could barely wait for me to let it cool and invert it so he could eat it. This will be something I make again and again!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

That looks so yummy!! Might have to bribe you to make that one to share when you get back to Houston!

phuong said...

*wiping off drool with the back of my hand*